About the course
To succeed at English-speaking universities, you need to develop not only a high level of English proficiency but also advanced academic skills. The majority of students preparing for university focus their preparation on the English language (IELTS/TOFEL) only and completely ignore academic skills. That is a grave mistake that leads to frequent academic problems at university.
Luckily, you don’t have to wait until you start your university to improve both your English and academic skills.
You can just take my FREE online academic English course.
Who are the lessons for?
- prospective international students who want to study the USA, the UK, Australia, etc.
- students interested in developing academic English and scientific literacy
- students and professionals in the areas of education, social sciences, linguistics, TESOL, behavioral sciences, business, management, marketing, nursing, psychology, and public health
- students preparing for IELTS/TOFEL
- students who are at least on B2 level (approximately 6.0 IELTS)
What will you learn?
- a high level of Academic English (speaking, listening, reading, and writing)
- critical reading and writing skills
- how to select evidence from different sources to support your arguments
- reading authentic academic texts (e.g. research papers)
- skills needed to produce a longer academic paper
- academic presentations
- academic vocabulary and phrases
- research skills
- academic communicative skills
How to work with my lessons?
- Every week I publish a new lesson based on authentic materials (e.g. TED talk, podcasts, academic journal articles, etc).
Materials are accompanied by important vocabulary, questions, and a writing task
- Have a look at the vocabulary needed for comprehension
- Watch the video, listen to the podcast and/or read the text. All podcasts and videos have the accompanying transcripts, however, read them only after listening/watching the media
- Answer the questions orally or in writing
- Find someone who is familiar with the material to talk about it and the questions
- Get feedback on your writing/speaking from an experienced academic tutor (English teacher with a strong academic and scientific background)
- If you choose me as a tutor you will receive one-on-one guidance and high-quality feedback which will be the basis for your academic development
Why does it work?
- ‘Academic English Course’ is based on the principles of second language acquisition, cognitive science, and deliberate practice
- Lesson reflect real-life academic tasks conducted at English-speaking universities
- I have a Ph.D. in Effective Education and MSc in Teaching English as a Second Language, I should know what I am doing 😉